Thai Quinoa Salad
This fantastic recipe is full of delicious Thai flavours, as well as containing loads of nutrients and protein.
With twice the protein content of rice or barley, quinoa is also a very good source of calcium, magnesium and manganese. It also contributes useful levels of several B vitamins, vitamin E and dietary fibre.
Quinoa is high in anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, and as a complete protein, quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids – including the elusive lysine and isoleucine acids, which most other grains lack.
Naturally high in dietary fibre, quinoa is a slowly digested carbohydrate, making it a good low-GI option.
- filtered water - ⅓ cup
- tahini - ¼ cup
- pitted date - 1
- sesame seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Bragg Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce) - 2 teaspoons
- freshly squeezed lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
- toasted sesame oil - 1 teaspoon
- chopped garlic - 1 teaspoon
- Himalayan pink salt - ½ teaspoon
- FOR THE SALAD
- quinoa, rinsed and steamed - 160g
- rocket, rinsed and chopped - 160g
- cherry tomatos - 160g
- red onion, rinsed and diced - 1/2
- chickpeas - 1/2 can
- In a blender, combine the water, tahini, date, sesame seeds, Braggs/Soy, lemon juice, sesame oil, garlic, and salt.
- Blend on high speed until smooth.
- TO MAKE THE SALAD In a medium bowl, stir together the quinoa, rocket, tomato, chickpeas and red onion.
- Add the dressing, stir well to coat, and serve.
- PREPARATION TIP: You can pre-prepare and refrigerate in separate airtight glass containers. Then simply mix everything together just before serving. Ready in less than 10 minutes!